- Store all household products and medications locked out of sight and out of reach of children. Keep items in their original containers with their original labels.
- When products are in use, never let young children out of your sight, even if you have to take them with you to answer the phone or doorbell.
- List the local poison control center and emergency medical service numbers near every telephone.
- Use child-resistant packaging properly by closing the container securely after each use.
- Keep a bottle of Ipecac syrup on hand to be used only on the advice of a poison control center or doctor. Ipecac syrup induces vomiting and may cause more damage if used without the advice of a poison control center or doctor. You can obtain a bottle of Ipecac syrup at most stores and pharmacies.
- Always read labels and follow directions listed on the bottle. If in doubt, contact your doctor or pharmacist prior to administering the medication. Use only the dispenser that came with the medication to measure dosages.
- Avoid taking medicine in front of children. Refer to medicine as "medicine," not "candy."
- Clean out the medicine cabinet periodically and safely dispose of unneeded and outdated medicines.
- Install CO detectors in your home in every sleeping room and at least one on each level of your home in a common area. Follow the manufacturers instructions on installation and maintenance. Do not install a CO alarm in the furnace room or generally within 15 feet of a fuel-burning appliance. Have wood stoves, furnaces, space heaters and other fuel burning appliances inspected regularly by a qualified professional.
- If you live in a home built before 1978, have your children tested for lead exposure by your doctor or local health department. If it is determined that you have lead-based paint in your home, hire a professional company to remove or seal the lead-based paint.
Source: U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission and American Association of Poison Control